Shane and Rod discuss boiling water reactors, one of the two types of established light water reactors.
There are two main types of light water reactors, pressurized water reactors (PWR) and boiling water reactors (BWR). They share some characteristics, but also have a number of differences.
There are plenty of sources of information on the web about the tradeoffs between the two technologies. You can seek them out, or you can listen to Shane and I muddle our way through an audio explanation on this show. We think that you might find the show entertaining and educational enough to spur additional interest. Enjoy.
Here are some sources of additional information:
- ESBWR fact sheet from Energetics.com
- Large view (1.16 MB) of ESBWR from GE. Shane and I are impressed by the details and clarity of this drawing. It looks best on a large screen.
- Natural circulation in ESBWR fact sheet
- Hitachi’s ABWR Key Features and an Update
- Video of the opening of the first private Atomic Power Plant at Vallecitos, CA